July 22, 2013

Yard Sales

This past Saturday I had a first.  My very first Yard Sale.  Now I would consider myself a yard sale pro.  Pretty much every year growing up, my mom and family members would have a yard sale.  We (my cousin and I) would sale cookies and lemonade or kool aid and get bored and go play.  But we were around them enough to know what to do. 

So I decided it was my time to tackle a Yard Sale.  I had enough stuff.  For 10 years Brian and I have been collecting or hoarding all our stuff.  We moved every bit of it last fall and just a few weeks ago finally got thru the last of the boxes.  We also made the big decision to not have anymore kids so we didn't need to keep anything.

Talk about a lot of work.  And here I thought we were pretty prepared... but I was proved wrong.  I knew people come early to Yard Sales.  I figured if I put 8 a.m. on the annoucement, I would see people around 7 a.m.  I was shocked when people started showing up before 7.  I felt a little bad because I didn't have everything out but at the same time I just wanted to tell people too bad... you are early.  Then before we really could get everything out and organized, we had a swarm of people.  I had to finally just sit at the table and take money.

We did well.  I was very impressed how much we sold.  Yes we still had to take a truck load to the DI but we really did sell a lot.  Made more money than I expected.  Had a lot of fun visiting with neighbors and meeting new people.  My hubby says this is my thing because I love people.

Did I learn anything for my next one?  Absolutely!  Be ready at least an hour earlier than I planned.  Maybe not have as many clothes.  Need more manly items (I had a few men tell me to send the hubby to the store and then raid his tools and gun cabinet).  Maybe not have one in July (too hot).

When is the next one you ask?  When we get thru another phase of life.  Hopefully the next one will contain more toys.  So we are looking at a few years from now.
Kudos to those people that do this every year or even every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment