January 13, 2015

Bad Mom Moment!

Ok I should clarify that title... I have had many bad mom moments, just this one was a really bad one.

Yesterday morning, Jacob woke up and his eyes were red.  Both eyes and nothing serious.  Of course Pink Eye went through my head but his eyes didn't look like what I knew to be Pink Eye.  Let me explain:

A few years ago I got Pink Eye.  My 1 eye was extremely red and hurt like a bugger.  It felt like there was sand in my eye that would not go out.  Because I wear contacts, sometimes my eyes will irritate or hurt.  When I started my day, my eye bugged but I didn't think much of it.  As the morning went on, my eye hurt worse and got more red.  That was when I wondered about Pink Eye.  After researching online about Pink Eye, I was sure that was what I had.  I loaded up Matthew (he was a toddler at the time) and off to InstaCare we went.  Sure enough, I had a bacterial Pink Eye and it was likely that Matthew would get it too.  So I got some expensive eye drops and a promise that I would take Matthew into his Dr if he started showing signs.  That night we were in his Drs with the same diagnosis.  So that was what Pink Eye was to me.

During the morning I kept after Jacob asking him if his eyes hurt or how he felt.  Nothing hurt and he felt fine and all that was showing was his eyes were slightly red.  Really nothing to stress about I thought.  Preschool time came and I found no need to worry and so I sent Jacob to school.

A couple hours after Preschool, Jacob's little eyes started swelling and he got these big red circles under his eyes.  Still no goopy eyes but his eyes didn't look good.  By dinner time his eyes were just tiny little things because they were so swollen.  But still no goop and they didn't hurt.  That was when I researched Pink Eye again online to find out a Viral Pink Eye could be swollen, red eyes.  Instantly I loaded up Jacob to go to InstaCare to find out.

I still wasn't 100% sure we were dealing with Pink Eye (because not the same symptoms as mine).  I wondered if he was having an allergic reaction to something (even though he never has had any allergies).  Funny thing, at InstaCare Jacob's eyes started gooping up.  Not before then.. just then and there.  Of course he was diagnosed with Viral Pink Eye and given a prescription for eye drops.  I felt horrible!  I couldn't believe I sent him to Preschool!  Oh I felt awful.

I called the hubby and told him we were picking up the eye drops and hoped he didn't mind calling the Preschool teacher to let her know... yes I was passing the buck here!  Only good news out of this was the eye drops didn't break the bank this time... they were only $4.  But if you have ever tried to put eye drops in a 4 year old... ugh!

Hoping for better mom moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment