March 1, 2013

9th Week of Pictures - Mealtime

Before we get into the theme for the week, I want to clarify something.  I love to cook.  I love to experiment with new recipes.  I love to watch the Food Network Channel.  I love to pretend I am a chef with my own tv show (yes I really do this when I am at home cooking by myself).  I really couldn't cook much when Brian and I got married.  I have been working on it the past 11 years hoping to improve with each recipe.  My downfall is yeast.  I have had the hardest time baking bread and rolls and what not.  I finally had success in baking rolls a couple weeks ago.  I didn't kill the yeast and the rolls were pretty good.  But that being said, I love being in the kitchen cooking.  Our goal is to cook 6 days a week at home with good food and then splurge on Saturday by eating at our favorite joints.
 
Now after saying all that... I am very disappointed to say that this week's theme of Mealtime hit on a very bad week for cooking at our house.  Our Monday was swallowed up with Girl Scout cookies and we had to eat out.  The rest of the week has been devoted to easy, quick meals because of many activities or cookie deliveries.  So you are not going to see anything fancy or great in my pictures.  I am going to show you two staples in our house when we have weeks like this one.
 
The first thing I am showing you is my favorite go-to kitchen gadget... the crock pot/slowcooker.  This has been my lifesaver on crazy days.  This handy cooking contraption can be found on our counter almost every Tuesday.  I leave Tuesdays around 3:45 (Dance and Girl Scouts) and do not return until 6:30.  At 6:50 my hubby leaves for his Scouts.  As you can tell, we don't have much time for a family meal.  So I usually throw something yummy into the crock pot for us to eat when we can.  My hubby is great to add some carbs and veggies for us.  (This great invention also helped me learn how to cook roast.  Everyone tells me it is so easy in the oven but I have never had luck.)

The 2nd staple in our house is what we call Fend Food.  How fend food came about in our house was because I had my favorite foods I loved to eat before I got married that my hubby wasn't a big fan of.  To make both of us happy, we would have a Fend Night.  This is where he would throw in a couple frozen pizzas and I would cook noodles.  I know it doesn't sound much but sometimes the simplest things make us happy.  Well our kids love Fend Night.  They love daddy's frozen pizzas and they love my noodles (with ketchup).  On nights that we can't think of what to fix, we have Fend Food.  Makes everyone happy.  This was our meal on Thursday this week because we got home late from Dance and cookie deliveries.
Maybe one day I will dedicate a post to my great yummy food I have made for my family.  But this is what you get for the week of Mealtime.  Next week's theme is Office... hmmmmm.
http://iotamaker.blogspot.com/2013/03/52-week-photo-project-week-9-meal-time.html?m=1

1 comment:

  1. I am seeing a common thread among posts. Last week was a crazy week. I love that you photographed and captured a family tradition although I won't be coming to dinner on the nights you serve your noodles and ketchup. No offense.

    ReplyDelete